News analysis - Economics / markets
Categories: Economics / Markets
Crispin Odey, the founder of Odey Asset Management, and Pierre Lagrange, the co-founder and fund manager of GLG, have both made it into a list of the country's wealthiest hedgies.
The Sunday Times has compiled a list of the wealthiest members of the UK's second financial centre, it's thriving hedge fund industry.
Now only second to New York, London has 650 active hedge funds, managing assets worth £250bn.
Odey - who along with his wife also appears in the Sunday Times Rich List - is 7th among the hedge fund giants in terms of wealth, with an estimated fortune of £455m between the two of them.
Odey - popular with retail investors as institutions and wealth managers - is one of the best known hedge fund managers to feature among the top 50.
Meanwhile Lagrange, who co-founded GLG in 2000 before making £135m in cash when it floated for £340m in 2007, is in 41st place. His firm (pictured) was taken over by GLG in 2010.
Now worth an estimated £120m, Lagrange too is well known among retail investors with some of his firm's funds - such as Japan Core Alpha - on a number of influential buy-lists.
Below is the UK's nine richest hedge fund operators.
Name Fund Wealth
1. Alan Howard Brevan Howard £1.4bn
2. David Harding Winton Capital Management £900m
3. Alexander Knaster Pamplona Capital Management £885m
4. Louis Bacon Moore Capital Management £820m
5. Michael Platt Bluecrest Capital Management £650m
6. Michael Hintze CQS £580M
7. Crispin Odey Odey Asset Management £455m
8. Stephen Butt Silchester International Investors £380m
9. Osman Murgian Winton Capital Management £300m
Updating your subscription status
Job of the week